Saturday, August 20, 2011

Going Once, Going Twice, SOLD.....To My Hubs

Last week my husband and I attended our very first auction!! A friend of ours is a big fan of auctions, and him and his girlfriend had planned to go and check it out. When they told my husband about it he immediately knew I would love something like that. He later told me he had something planned for Saturday, I am pretty sure he wanted it to be a surprise, but I am the queen of finding out what I need to know and he broke down and told me! I was so excited, I spent the next few days watching Auction Kings on the Discovery Channel to get prepared. Well, nothing could really prepare me for the real thing.

The auction was only about 25 minutes North of our home and it was in a huge warehouse, with no a/c, in the middle of North Georgia no where.  We walked in and saw stuff lined all along the side of the walls, about 100 people, and directly in front of us was the auctioneer. He was speaking so fast I could barely understand him...it is real, they really do speak like that! I had only seen it in movies before.



Well, it didn't take me long to figure out the real reason why we were there. They were auctioning off a TON of music equipment. My husband is a musician and songwriter (aside from his real job) and so is his friend, they use to play together at local bars in college and now that they are both in the same town, they plan on playing together around here. While my hubs and his friend scoped out the music inventory, I sat and watched them auction off one thing after another, in awe of how crazy expensive some of the inventory was going for. They were auctioning off huge Coca-Cola signs for up to $7000 bucks...yes you read that right... SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS! I was starting to get a little nervous...how much is my hubs planning on spending here?!

The music inventory was up next, my husband had his yellow card in his hand ready to bid. Finally, the piece he was interested in came up, an amp, the auctioneer started out at $25...hubs raise his card, and then another person did...it went back and forth for a minute and I was on the edge of my seat..the auction then went up to $75, the hubs thew up his yellow card and finally the other man had backed down...SOLD to my hubs! I was so excited that he had gotten what he came for, and bought it at such an amazing price. Apparently what he bought retails on ebay for 300 to 500 dollars! Total Win! But, we weren't done yet, hubs friend still had to try to get the piece he was interested in, a mixing board. The bid's went back and forth a little longer than the hubs bidding war, but eventually he won his bidding war too! SOLD! He ended up paying $110 for the mixing board, that retails for about $1200 on ebay! Double Win!! Check out their lout.




Unfortunately, I did not get to see any of the furniture they were planning to auction off, I would of loved to see what type of prices it was all going for. Next time, we will make a day out of it and see if I can score anything amazing! But, I must say it was an amazing experience and I recommend that everyone go check one out! I know that I will be back for another!

Thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment